Hospital breached safety law over staff PPE


A hospital where a radiographer died after contracting COVID failed to fit some staff properly for face masks, an investigation has found.


Simon Guest, who worked at Furness General Hospital in Barrow, Cumbria, died in April 2020.


BBC News has reported that a HSE investigation prompted by his death found University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust had breached health and safety law. The trust has declined to comment.


An HSE spokesman said the breach concerned the personal protective equipment (PPE) issued to staff by the trust.


“Our inspectors identified a breach of health and safety law resulting in formal written advice to the trust,” the spokesman said.


“The investigation identified that not all persons had received adequate face fit testing to ensure that the masks, worn as protective equipment for certain procedures, formed a tight seal to the face.


“Confirmation was provided by the trust that remedial action had been taken.”


BBC News October 2021



2 views0 comments